7/8th Grade Fables & Fairytales
ePals Project – Mini Activity
Fables and Fairytales:
An examination of cultures around the world through literature and the arts.
- Students in each class will work in groups of 5or 6 to create a video presentation of a popular fable or fairytale. Students will be given a list of fables and fairytales to choose from that are typical, widely known stories. Students will be the actors, directors and producers of the video taped play.
- After the video of the play is complete they will send it to the outreach classroom. In this case the class we will be contacting is in Lima, Peru.
- The class will view the videos that the Peruvian students sent.
- Students will compare their American fairytale with that of the Peruvian fairytale and record the differences and similarities between the two stories.
- Students will then Skype the group in Peru that they have been communicating with to have a live discussion about their observations and ask questions about the noticeable differences and similarities.
- Using the video that was from Peru, the students will rewrite their own ending to the story that fits the American cultural norm. This will be performed, recorded and sent back to Peru for the students to view and analyze.
- Finally, the teacher will lead a class discussion about what they learned about the popular fables and fairytales in Lima Peru, exploring how they were different and how they were similar to the popular American fairytales.
Component 1.2 Collaborate
Use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others.
1.2.1 Communicate cultural understanding to learn with others. Students will meet this standard by collaborating with group members to create a video to send to students in Peru and by using the Skype program to interact with the students in the classroom in Peru. In this manner they will be using at least two media formats, one in the form of a video and one in the form of a live chat.
1.2.2 Develop cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with learners of many cultures. This standard is met because the objective of this activity is for students to learn about popular literature via fables and fairytales of the Peruvian culture through technology and distance learning. This is also met because of the interaction with the learners from another culture through video and videoconferencing.
Component 1.1 Innovate
Demonstrate creative thinking, construct knowledge and develop innovative products and processes using technology.
1.1.1 Generate ideas and create original works for personal and group expression using a variety of digital tools. This standard is met when the students are rewriting the endings to the Peruvian fairytales, using the computer to type the new script and edit the video, use equipment to record the play, and the internet to send and receive the video and to chat live.
Component 2.2 Operate Systems
Understand technology systems and use hardware and networks to support learning.
2.2.1 Develop skills to use technology effectively. This activity allows students to use a variety of different technologies such as: a video camera, a computer to compose and edit the scripts of the fairytales, and the internet. The students must also manage the files effectively because they will be editing their video footage.
2.2.2 Use a variety of hardware to support learning. This standard is met because the students must operate the video camera, the video editing equipment and the computers correctly and effectively. They will be responsible for maintenace and proper storage so that equipment does not get damaged. Should problems arise they will be asked to refer to their “technology use guide” to troubleshoot equipment problems before seeking assistance.